Recipe of the month
Homemade linguini with spring vegetables and crème fraiche
For the pasta
275gm Pasta flour ‘type 00’
3 Egg yolks
2 Whole egg
Pinch of salt
15gm Extra virgin olive oil
For the seasonal vegetable mixture
(You can use any vegetables you have in the fridge. The given vegetables are just a guide line.)
1medium Red pepper, cut into small dice
1medium Red onion, peeled and cut into small dice
250gm Butternut squash, peeled and cut into small dice
100gm watercress, washed, dried
5 Asparagus spears, peeled and trimmed
100g romanesco cauliflower
1/4th bunch Parsley, washed, dried and finely chopped
3cloves Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
15ml Vegetable oil
15ml Extra virgin olive oil
100gm Crème fraîche
Drizzle of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the pasta by mixing the salt, extra virgin olive oil with the pasta flour in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre. Add the eggs and knead to a smooth dough. Cover with cling-film and allow to rest for at least 30minutes before using.
- After the pasta is rested, roll as thin as possible so that the pasta can easily pass through the pasta rolling machine.
- Start on a highest setting and pass the pasta through once. Book fold the pasta so that the width corresponds to the width of the pasta roller. Pass through one more time and repeat again through the highest setting.
- Then start rolling the pasta by reducing the pasta roller setting until you reach no.6 on the roller. Every time you roll the pasta twice through the same setting so that it stretches well and does not shrink.
- Then pass the rolled sheets through the linguini cutter. Flour them well and leave on the side to rest.
- Boil water in a stock pan, sprinkle rock salt and some extra virgin olive oil. Blanch the linguini for maximum 2 minutes and refresh in ice water or very cold water. Drain and drizzle more olive oil to prevent the linguini from sticking to each other.
- Take a large sauté pan, heat the vegetable and extra virgin olive oil. Add onions and quickly sauté for a minute.
- Then add the butternut squash and the red pepper dice and sauté until they become tender.
- Add the Romanesco, asparagus and chopped garlic, toss well. Finally add a cube of butter and toss again. Finish adding the watercress, toss again. Season with salt and pepper.