It’s the perfect time of year to stay in, keep cosy and whip together a batch of zesty Seville Orange Marmalade.
- 900g Seville oranges
- 2.4 litres of water
- 1 lemon
- 1.8kg granulated sugar or jam sugar
- 12 jam jars
- Wash the oranges and the lemon before slicing them both in half.
- Squeeze out the juice and scoop out the flesh, placing the flesh and the pips in a muslin bag (muslin cloth tied with string).
- Slice the peel finely before putting the peel, muslin bag, orange and lemon juice into the water and leave overnight.
- Bring everything to the boil and simmer for about 2 hours or until the peel is very soft. Squeeze out all of the juice from the muslin bag and remove it.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve (do not add the sugar until the peel is soft).
- Increase the heat and boil while stirring until it reaches 110˚c. You can check this by placing a bit on a saucer and seeing how much it sets when placed in the fridge (it should wrinkle when you push it with your finger).
- Immediately place the marmalade into sterilised jars, cover immediately and store in a cool dry place.