For the marinade
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1½ cubes
- 50gm Thick yoghurt
- 10gm Ginger and Garlic paste
- 3gm White pepper powder
- 5gm Turmeric
- 5gm Chaat masala
- 30ml Oil
- Salt to taste
For the curry
- 675gm Tomatoes (if fresh then cut into small pieces, if from tin then gently crushed or you can also use the tomato passata from the jars)
- 200gm Butter
- 45gm Garlic and Ginger paste
- 3 large Fresh red chillies, split in the middle
- 2 large White onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 20 cardamom pods, seeded
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Pinch saffron strands
- 10g turmeric powder
- A few leaves of chopped coriander
- Salt and sugar to taste
- In a large pan with a wide bottom heat the butter on a medium heat until foamy. Add the onions and cook until tender without colour. Then add the chillies, ginger and garlic paste and cook until light golden in colour.
- Take the seeds out of the cardamom pods and add to the onions along with the turmeric. Cook out for about 2 minutes to enhance their flavour.
- Finally add the tomato pulp/passata, cinnamon and saffron. Bring to boil. Season with salt and sugar.
- Cook out on a low heat with a lid for about 35-45 minutes. Serve the chicken on top of the sauce.