The definition of a winter warmer, crumble – perfect to see you through chilly winter evenings. This Forced Rhubarb Crumble is a must have dessert.
For the compote
- 350g rhubarb
- 30g sugar
- ½ pod vanilla
- ½ stick cinnamon
For the crumble topping
- 100g plain flour
- 50g sugar
- 50g butter
- 30g macadamia nuts (roughly crushed)
- Cook the rhubarb down with the sugar, seeds from the vanilla (or you can use ¼ tsp vanilla seed paste) and the cinnamon stick until about half cooked.
- Place in an earthenware or ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Rub the flour, sugar and butter together to a rough breadcrumb consistency, add the crushed nuts and mix.
- Sprinkle over the compote evenly in a thick layer and bake at 180˚c for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.